10 to Watch Program Details – Click to Read
With a bold mission to eradicate poverty and increase social mobility through the power of partnerships, United Way of the Greater Triangle serves the most vulnerable members of our community. During our 2016-2017 funding cycle, over 85% of those served were people of color. Conversely, during that same time, people of color led just 20% of our partner agencies. Similar disparities in leadership are evident throughout The Triangle nonprofit community across gender lines. Disparities exist along racial and gender lines when it comes to organizational resources; on average in the Triangle, organizations led by people of color and women hold far less revenues and assets.
The United Way of the Greater Triangle will utilize our platform to address these disparities by investing $500,000 into the selected “10 to Watch” organizations, two-year grants of $25,000 to each of ten recipients. [Corporate Match Language]. The Triangle 10 to Watch intentionally addresses disparities experienced by these underrepresented leaders by: providing funding, access to professional development opportunities, technical assistance and facilitating a network of peer learning. In promoting the important work for vulnerable populations in the Triangle by leaders who are representative of those communities, United Way of the Greater Triangle seeks to ensure that the nonprofit sector is diverse, inclusive and equitable.
- UWGT will empower leaders of color and women leaders to participate in a non-profit system that has historically denied them access to the resources that would aid them in maximizing their impact.
Eligibility Requirements and Evaluation Criteria
- Annual budget under $1.0 M
- Ability drive impact in identified UWGT organizational goals. Leader must show high potential to grow and sustain their organization.
- Led by individuals who identify as a member of an underrepresented community (Black, LatinX, Woman) or that are culturally representative of the communities that they serve.
- Stated willingness from the organization (letter from Board Chair) and the ability to commit to a two-year relationship with the United Way.
- Leaders feel more connected to traditional non-profit system.
- Leaders feel better prepared to meet their intended organizational goals.
- Organization demonstrates growth in the ability to serve the community (increase numbers served, increased capacity – revenue/assets, etc…)
UWGT commits to:
- Team with Leadership Triangle to develop and deliver capacity-building curriculum to the leaders of the Ten-to-Watch. Ultimately, the programming will be led by goals identified by Ten to Watch participants. Through these partnerships, the Ten to Watch, UWGT and Leadership Triangle will address additional barriers to sustainability using a holistic approach that includes leadership development, strategic management skills development, mentoring, networking and peer support.
- An annual allocation of $25,000 to Triangle 10 to Watch participants.
- Leverage UWGT networks to increase participant organizational capacity by highlighting the work of partner agencies through our extensive corporate campaign activities and other marketing materials, adding valuable exposure.
Triangle 10 to Watch participants commit to:
- Fully participate in the leadership development activities designed for the program during the two year funding cycle.
- Fully participate in the activities designed to market, promote and build awareness of the Triangle 10 to Watch program. Activities include, but are not limited to: corporate speaking engagements, engagement of volunteers, program planning and feedback activities.
- Track and report data connected to the desired outcomes of the Triangle 10 to Watch.
- A matching gift requirement of $25,000, annually.
- Announcement: May 24, 2018
- Application Launch: June 1, 2018
- Applications Due: July 13, 2018
- Application Evaluation and Finalist Interviews: July 16, 2018 – August 9, 2018
- Announcement of Awards: August 10, 2018
- Kickoff – August 23rd and Follow-up – August 30
- Program Participation: August 10, 2018 – August 31, 2020
- Leadership Triangle’s Transforming Leaders Program Dates – Sept. 12, 19; Oct. 3, 17, 31; Nov. 14,28