Job Description: Manager of Volunteer + Community Engagement
About United Way of the Greater Triangle:
With a bold mission to invest in community-driven solutions that advance racial and economic justice, United Way of the Greater Triangle (UWGT) is building the team to work together to realize that mission. We fund nonprofits through our three pillars: Cradle to Career, Equity in Leadership and Healthy Families. If you are justice-oriented, love relationship cultivation and have an acute attention to detail, join us as our next Manager, Volunteer and Community Engagement.
Reporting to the Director of Community Engagement + Learning, this role is responsible for engaging and providing customer service to volunteers throughout the Triangle, promoting community outreach initiatives and ensuring that our databases, calendars and volunteer information is accurate, timely and compelling. Part stewardship and part database management, this role requires someone who both loves people and systems, seeing them as linked and essential to helping us realize our organizational mission. Keen attention to detail and strong interpersonal communication are musts.
The Manager of Volunteer and Community Engagement works closely with individuals, corporate partners, and community organizations to develop and implement desirable and desired volunteer opportunities and ongoing programs that meet the needs of our partner organizations and the social responsibility vision of our corporate partners and community constituents.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive volunteer engagement strategy that supports UWGT’s community outreach goals and racial justice initiatives.
- Recruit, onboard, and train volunteers, ensuring they are equipped with the knowledge and skills to engage effectively in various programs.
- Collaborate with community organizations, schools, and corporate partners to identify opportunities for volunteer engagement and partnership.
- Plan and organize UWGT volunteer events, service projects, and campaigns that address critical community needs, with a specific focus on equity and racial justice.
- Lead efforts to diversify the volunteer base, ensuring inclusivity and representation across all volunteer activities.
- Foster strong relationships with volunteers, providing ongoing support, recognition, and opportunities for growth within UWGT’s ecosystem.
- Collect, analyze, and report data on volunteer engagement, program impact, and community outreach outcomes.
- Stay informed about best practices in volunteer management, equity, and racial justice, and integrate these principles into all aspects of the role.
- Collaborate with the Communications team to effectively promote volunteer opportunities and community engagement efforts through various channels.
- You’re Passionate about Economic and Racial Justice: You’ve got a demonstrated commitment to advancing economic and racial justice within the community and have lots of tangible ideas of how to apply that to the volunteer and community engagement work.
- You Know Community Engagement: You’ve got a strong understanding of community dynamics, social ecosystems, know how to listen to those most impacted for needs, dreams and help align tangible solutions. You naturally connect with others in community with respect, humility, cultural sensitivity and a love of people at the forefront.
- You’re an Experienced Volunteer + Project Manager: Recruiting volunteers comes easy to you, you’re thoughtful and thorough from onboarding, through training and retention. Volunteers come back time and time again, in part because you make it such a pleasure. Being organized brings you life. You love to plan, execute and evaluate events and initiatives, ensuring timely and successful outcomes.
- You’re an Outstanding Communicator: When you speak or write, people listen. You are adept at choosing the right medium and voice for the audience across different partner and constituent audiences.
- You Lead through Collaboration: You love to work with people and are speedy to call on others and answer the call from others to help, teamwork makes the dream work. People are inspired to work with you, yet your leadership isn’t egocentric.
- You love Data: If it isn’t in a spreadsheet, it didn’t happen. You crave data, are adept at analysis and reporting to measure program effectiveness and inform decision-making. You value numbers and stories as valid and important forms of data.
- You’re Adaptable + Optimistic: You flexibility adapt to change, maintaining a positive outlook. You bring solutions to the table and take setbacks in stride. They’re human; we learn from them and move on.
- You’re Innovative: People call you creative and you often think up new ideas and ways of doing things. You are excited to develop new and engaging volunteer opportunities that align with community needs and UWGT’s vision, mission, values and goals.
A glimpse into your first 90 days:
- Get to know your teammates and UWGT’s history and this unique moment in time
- Learn our tools and materials: signup genius, Andar, Salesforce, Microsoft Planner, Eventbrite, UWGT Community Engagement Calendar
- Learn the current state of volunteer and community engagement at UWGT
- Manage execution of Fall-Winter UWGT Signature Events, Attend community events on behalf of UWGT, Assist with planning of Spring/Summer UWGT Signature Events – Learning Opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree (or 3+ years of equivalent experience) in volunteer and/or community engagement
- Proven record of results in volunteer engagement or other constituent engagement
- Passionate about the mission of UWGT
- Excellent external and interpersonal communication skills
*Don’t have all the reqs but are passionate about our mission? We still want you to apply.
Does this sound like you? We want you to apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 22nd. The salary range for this position is $54,000 – $68,000 alongside a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, 401K matching, and a hybrid work environment.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity (DEI) Vision Statement:
United Way of the Greater Triangle is committed to fostering an inclusive and equitable organization that strives for equal opportunity in all its endeavors. We aim to create a welcoming environment, enable success for all, promote fairness, civility, and respect, and honor the diverse voices within our organization and the Greater Triangle community.