Role: Chief Philanthropy Officer
About the United Way of the Greater Triangle:
With a bold mission to eradicate poverty and increase social mobility for everyone in the Triangle through the power of partnerships, United Way of the Greater Triangle (UWGT) is building the team to work together to make that mission a reality. We fund nonprofits through our three pillars: Cradle to Career, Equity in Leadership and Healthy Families. If you are justice-oriented, excellent at developing and executing an innovative philanthropy strategy, management and team development, passionate about our mission, optimistic about the future and ready to roll up your sleeves, please read on and apply to be our next Chief Philanthropy Officer.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO) serves as an integral member of the Senior Leadership Team and is responsible for the direction and execution of United Way’s philanthropy vision and strategy including: achieving ambitious philanthropy goals by leveraging personal and team talents, growing the capacity of the philanthropy team and implementing an innovative philanthropy strategy. The CPO manages a portfolio while also supporting the Philanthropy Team to manage their portfolios and achieve goals aligned to their specific roles. This position directly manages 2 directors and a broader 4-person Philanthropy team.
- Set innovative and values-aligned vision, strategy, and direction for UWGT’s philanthropic work
- Lead a team of high performers to achieve and surpass all fund philanthropy goals in workplace campaigns, new business, foundation, and individual giving
- Set and hit ambitious development goals for a variety of work streams including corporate and campaign giving, individual giving, and foundation giving.
- Build team to live into UWGT’s values, collaborating with each other and across team to maximize strengths, embrace growth areas and further the culture of learning, support, and growth within our organization
- Advance the UWGT brand across the region, furthering the reputation and trust locally and nationally as a United Way that sets the standard for a nimble, modernized, justice-model of community impact
- Measure impacts in a systemic and data-driven way
- Build and deepen relationships with key stakeholders and broaden our influence and circle within the Triangle
- Partner with a dynamic leadership team to achieve all organizational goals
- Support CEO and represent UWGT’s development efforts within United Way Worldwide special initiatives
- Identify non-traditional revenue opportunities leading to a measurable new business pipeline and enhancement of brand awareness
- Support and inform the CEO as it relates to Board engagement and provide support and guidance for the Philanthropy Cabinet Chair
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Chief Executive office
- You’re passionate about the mission, vision, and values of United Way of the Greater Triangle. You understand what we’re up to and are an effective and passionate brand steward. You see our budget as an extension and expression of our values.
- You’re a strategist. You see how your team and role play a part in the larger regional and organizational strategy. You see how each small part fits into the larger picture, making a tremendous impact.
- You hit goals. You set just-right, ambitious development goals for a variety of work streams, including campaign and corporate giving, individual giving and foundation giving, and achieve them.
- You’re a visionary. You imagine a justice-oriented philanthropy that doesn’t yet exist, You understand our vision and values and can create a stunning narrative of how philanthropy will grow and thrive in our current fundraising landscape.
- You’re an outstanding communicator and storyteller. When you speak and write, people listen and take not. You have a way with motivating and influencing others to achieve outcomes. You listen deeply to what others have to say.
- You’re a relationship builder and a dream teammate. You cultivate and maintain relationships with staff, Board Members, and external partners. You develop deep and lasting relationships. You love working with other people and help make for strong cross functional collaboration. You tailor your relationship building to the person, meeting them where they are, and honoring their values and interests.
- You’re committed to diversity, equity and inclusivity. You examine and work to mitigate your own biases and support the growth and maintenance of an inclusive, anti-racist culture.
Leadership and Team Development:
- Recruit, hire, develop, coach, mentor and manage a diverse and engaged philanthropy team
- Live and model the UWGT values and show a commitment to our diversity and equity statement. You build bridges with other team members and leaders
- Ensure team members receive timely onboarding and training
- Establish and monitor team performance and progress towards philanthropy goals
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced degree in relevant field preferred
- Demonstrated ability in people management
- Advanced skills in storytelling
- Eight years progressive philanthropy experience
- Must have strong working knowledge of Salesforce
Salary for this role in commensurate with experience alongside a competitive benefits package as well as the ability to work remotely through COVID-19
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity (DEI) Vision Statement: We are committed to becoming a collaborative and inclusive organization that strives for equity and equal opportunity in all we do in order to be a catalyst for change in our community. We will work to create a welcoming environment for all; enable success for all; work constantly toward fairness, civility, and respect for all; and honor the rich mosaic of voices both within our United Way and in the Greater Triangle.
If this sounds like you, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.