WLC Making A Difference
The WLC is focusing its education and outreach efforts around the issues and challenges facing young teen girls. Young teen girls, ages 11 -15 are experiencing a tremendous urge for acceptance by their peers and distance from supervision, while at the same time the media is bombarding them with edgy advertising that emphasizes being “thin and beautiful”.
Why an Initiative Around Young Teen Girls?
A recent survey of donors in the community showed that women believe that Issues Facing Youth is one of the top three key issues facing our community today.
Research shows a great need among Young Teen Girls that we must address if we are to empower our communities' daughters to grow up to become future leaders. The WLC can work to help strengthen programs that have proven to be successful so that more young girls can benefit from them.
YOU Can Make a Difference in Young Teen Girls’ Lives
- Support United Way of the Greater Triangle and the partner agencies working hard everyday to make a difference in girls’ lives
- Thank others for their generosity
- Share your experiences in seeing the good work being done
- Become more aware of the issues facing young teen girls and share your knowledge with others
- Talk with others about your hopes for girls, rather than the problems
- Encourages institutions, schools and neighborhoods to respect our teen girls
- Mentor a young teen girl
- Share your life and career experiences with a class of girls
- Get involved and VOLUNTEER! Please click here to see a list of available volunteer opportunities with young teen girls.